Mayonnaise is probably one of my favourite condiments but when I switched to eating real food I stopped eating mayo and basically avoided it like the plague! Why? Because whenever I went in search of mayo in the supermarket/grocery store all I ever found were jars of mayo that had an ingredient list the length of my arm that were
not so great TERRIBLE!
So I just stopped eating it. As you may be aware nearly all the mayo you find at the store is made with some kind of vegetable oil, like canola oil and even if a particular jar of mayo boasts on the front that it’s made with olive oil well sadly it’s again usually blended with some kind of vegetable oil as well.
Just out of curiosity, I googled a brand of mayo that boasts on the front that it’s made with olive oil that I’ve seen at our local supermarket and here are the ingredients it contains:
- Olive Oil.
- Canola Oil.
- Soybean Oil.
- Modified Food Starch*.
- Natural Flavour.
- Mustard Flour.
- Lactic Acid*.
- Potassium Sorbate* (to protect flavour).
- Phosphoric Acid.
- Dried Onions.
- Dried Garlic.
- Calcium Disodium EDTA* (to protect flavour).
- Beta Carotene* (for colour).
*ingredient not normally found in mayonnaise
WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?! Is it just me or did your mind just explode reading that ingredient list?! This is why it is SO IMPORTANT to actually READ the ingredient list rather than just falling for the advertising claims on the front of a product. This particular mayo claims on the front that it’s ‘Mayo with Olive Oil’ but of course as we can see it’s made with a LOT more than that! And don’t you just love how they have the asterix saying that these ingredients aren’t even found in mayonnaise! I mean the product says it’s mayo yet they are adding janky ingredients in there that shouldn’t even be in there! In total it takes 19 ingredients to make this store bought mayo!
In contrast my 3 Minute Homemade Mayo uses 5 ingredients… ALL of which are REAL FOOD!
So how did I come to make my 3 Minute Homemade Mayo? Well after avoiding store bought mayo for a while I realised that duh… I could just make my own! So I started to use my Vitamix to make my homemade mayo but while it worked out well, I always ended up losing so much of it inside the actual blender, since I had to scrape it out of the bottom. I started to experiment and realised that using an immersion hand blender and a wide-mouth mason jar was not only the EASIEST way for me to make my homemade mayo but also the most efficient, because not only could I make the mayo directly in the jar but I could also store it in the same jar… no more scraping out mayo from the bottom of the blender and then having to wash the blender after! And not only that but when I used to use my Vitamix for the job I’d have to add the ingredients in steps, whereas with my 3 Minute Homemade Mayo I add all the ingredients in at once which makes it so much faster!
Ready for the recipe?
3 MINUTE HOMEMADE MAYO
- 1 cup/8 oz/250 ml avocado oil
- 1 large pasture raised egg
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ – ½ tsp sea salt
- Place all ingredients for the mayo in a wide mouth mason jar.
- Place an immersion hand blender inside the jar.
- While firmly holding the immersion blender directly at the bottom of the mason jar, turn it on and blend for 2 minutes (make sure you don’t move the blade, just keep it stuck to the bottom of the jar).
- After 2 minutes slowly move the immersion blender up and down for another minute to mix everything together.
- You should end up with a creamy mayo which you can then store in the fridge in the same mason jar ready to use when you need it!